Manufacturing and installation of wooden decks and custom timber structures
Relax and entertain in style
A wooden deck is a useful home improvement that adds beauty and value to your home. It offers a way to expand your living area into the outdoors.
A deck is best described as a wooden platform, capable of supporting weight, typically constructed outdoors and often but not necessarily, connected to a building. Depending on its height it could be enclosed with wooden balustrades for safety.
Furthermore it provides a pleasing outdoor space for entertaining purposes.
Blending your entertainment area with one of Mother Nature 's splendid products provides a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor living, especially in South Africa, where our year-round climate makes timber decks a commodity to be enjoyed during all seasons.
Not surprisingly good timber decking has become a popular addition to many South African homes; transforming bland spaces into practical and stylish outdoor amenities.
Because timber is so versatile, practically any shape, size and colour is possible, which means you can design one to suit your individual taste or budget. Decks can form part of your landscaping or be an alternative to patios by adding a romantic pergola.
Whether considering a large elevated wooden deck or small intimate space for relaxing, hardwood decking timber provides a functional and practical solution, with a lifetime cost that is often less than many high maintenance softwood options.
After intensive research into the best practices in deck construction we have adopted the following standards that all Top Decks comply with.
- We use top quality hardwood;
- All decking screws are non-abrasive;
- Decking is treated on both sides;
- Special care is taken to seal end cuts on decking timber;
- Double joints are used where end cuts meet to prevent splitting of decking;
- We leave you with a deck that has 3 layers of surface treatment.
A properly constructed deck frame is of utmost importance for a deck to last. Top Decks takes the following measures in constructing the deck frame:
- We only use CCA timber treated to a minimum hazard grading level 3;
- All end cuts of structural timbers are sealed with a product specifically designed for this purpose;
- All metal nails and fasteners are galvanised or of a non-abrasive material;
- All poles are planted in a way that allows water drainage;
- All pole tops are fitted with gang-nail tops to prevent splitting;
- Special care is taken to keep the deck structure as water-free (dry) as possible;
- We comply with engineering specifications pertaining to weight distribution in selecting and spacing of poles joists and bearers.